Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 6, 2009

My 1st Half-Marathon in my 1st Milo

FRIDAY
I'm already in my Milo mode, singing "I'm getting ready, getting ready..." on my mind the whole day at work.

After work, I planned to go home, get my car (color-coding) and head to the carbo-loading party of takbo.ph in the Bonifacio Global City in Taguig. While on my way home, I remembered it was Nikka's birthday. I called her for my wishes, and ended up being invited to a simple gathering. My plan got busted, but I enjoyed spending the night with my friends, singing our hearts out to familiar tunes with a guitar, sharing food, drinks, stories, and laughter. Went home and slept at 2AM.

SATURDAY
I woke up 10AM. I planned to stay at home, watch TV, read books, surf the internet, eat, and chat with Dad. No serious physical and/or mental activity. No sleeping in the afternoon too, to ensure that I sleep early in the evening.

I'm almost successful. Not! I forgot to calibrate my newly arrived Suunto Foot Pod! At 4PM, I took it for a spin, running easy 2k inside our village.

I then bought some bananas and cheese spread for my breakfast. Ate dinner at 5PM, took a bath, prepared my running gear and nutrition, and went to bed at 7PM.

Had a hard time sleeping. Was too excited, I guess for the very big day. I remembered I felt exactly the same the night before my first 5k last March in Condura. And my phone keeps on receiving various SMS/text messages from my friends. I think I fell totally asleep around 9PM.

SUNDAY
My alarm went off at 2:45AM. I prayed, and ate 2 cheese sandwiches, 2 bananas and cold Milo for breakfast. I'm singing "Great things start from small beginnings..." while in the bathroom. I then lubricated with petroleum jelly my inner thighs and biceps, wore my running shorts, dry-fit socks, hrm, Phiten air, Livestrong band, Crocs, and Milo singlet.

I slid my running shoes, exchange clothes, race belt, bib number, and towel inside my bag.

Nicky, Henry, and I planned to go to Luneta together, thinking that we might have a hard time looking for a safe car park place. Nicky and I drove to Henry's, and left our cars in his place. Wow! This will be the 1st time I'm going to a running event in a very relaxed and comfortable mode.

2km away from Henry's place, I remembered I left my running cap at the backseat of my car. Darn!

We arrived in Luneta around 4:30AM. We parked infront of a building that is well-lighted and with a security guard (thanks Manong!). We took our time for our final preparations, wearing our shoes and other running gears.

We brisked walked towards the assembly area as warm up. Upon reaching the assembly area, we looked for the portable urinals. Nothing! I guess we're just so excited not to see it, and we resolved our bladder issues by loving nature hehehe =)

While in the assembly area, I met Bro J and was generous to invite us for some pictures (thanks Bro J!). I also met Ms. Cristy (wife of Vener/RunUnltd) and Craig Logan. I also saw the 21k runners of takbo.ph, but was too shy to approach them. I guess my emotions are just unbalanced at that time, mixing feelings of excitement, fear, and joy. Perhaps, I also felt a bit guilty, not being able to attend the carbo-loading party last Friday.

After some warm-up exercises led by the organizers, the start gun went-off early than the 5:30AM schedule. I simply planned to keep a 7min/km pace, just to meet the 2:30:00 cut-off time. I forgot about the negative split thing. My plan also includes eating two Jelly Bean sports beans every kilometer, and finish 1 pack every hour, and hydrate every 15 minutes.

I was successful up to 16km. My legs are still strong, but I feel like I'm running out of gas. I'm beginning to feel exhausted. I was too focused on keeping a steady pace the whole time, I forgot about my heart rate. I realized I was running 85 to 90% of my HRmax for almost 2 hours already.

At this point too, my dri-fit socks aren't dry anymore. I perspired a lot, and perhaps the water shower in Buendia could have aggravated the case. Need to switch to another plan, quick!

I then remembered the Galloway walk/run strategy, modified it a bit, taking a 2 minute walk break every km thereafter, then resume running to the next kilometer. At this point, my mind is already playing tricks on me, but I stayed focused, and remembered the lesson from the scene in the Disney-Pixar film "Cars": it doesn't matter how you finish the race, just finish it! Patiently, I walked, ran, walked, ran, and walked again, and ran again, very very tired and I'm beginning to feel my feet starting to blister.

While walking, fellow runner motivated me: "Bok, malapit na! Masarap ang feeling pagdating sa finish line." I praise and thank God for sending angels for affirmation.

Alleluia! I finished my 1st half marathon and crossed the finish line in 2:35:32 (unofficial, based on my Suunto HRM). It was like getting out of hell and cherishing the victory in heaven when I received my certificate, Gatorade, banana, and Milo loot bag.

Nicky, Henry, and I became instant celebrities, as students from New Era University interviewed us as we do our recovery stretching.

On our way to line up for free Milo, 42k finisher Vener/RunUnltd recognized me and I was so proud to shake his hand, and introduced him to my friends. We were also blessed to be invited for some pictures. Thanks Mr. Vener!

I also met and congratulated my friend Mari Javier for finishing another marathon since being serious about running last October 2008.

Before going home, Nicky remembered that I have my cellphone with me in my pouch. Hahaha! And so, we finally took our pictures at the finish line.



We then went to Jollibee-Santana Grove in Sucat to meet our friends who ran 10k and 5k, for our recovery meals.

I learned so many lessons in my 1st half marathon. In my next run: I'll never forget to bring my cap, I'll be more courageous and introduce myself to new friends, I'll negative split, I'll never forget to put powder in my socks, I'll keep my shoes away from the water shower, etc etc etc.

Oh boy, what a day! Praise God! Praise God!

Here's my stats:
Post Script:
Our Make Love Run campaign was able to raise P7,350 pledges for the benefit of the detainees in the medium security compound of the New Bilibid Prisons. You may deposit your pledge to BDO S/A 6340002985 Elvie Elumbaring. Please text Nicky 0916-2454034 / 0923-4899211 upon deposit. Thank you for making love run!

16 comments:

Anonymous,  July 7, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

Hi Jet. Congratulations on your first 21K. You've done this in such a short time and I'm proud of you along with many of the runners there.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm sure you'll remember this for a long time. Take care and an easy recovery week ahead for you.

Anonymous,  July 7, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

Great job Jet. Congratulations . you have greatly improved. and your new blog is very nice. regards - runningshield / patrick concepcion

Bong July 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

Congratulations Jet for completing your first half marathon. Try putting body gel on your feet before putting on your dry fit socks, and it will help avoid blisters. I know this from experience, my left foot specially blisters when I don't apply body gel.

RPA July 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

yo, jet! congrats, bro! i wasn't able to see you @ the finish line. you went home early ata. =)

the shower in buendia/pasong tamo was a bad timing. bad move for me too. i should have avoided it. after that i was having a hard time adjusting because of the wet shoes & socks.

but we still managed to finish the race, pare. kahit maglakad okay lang. we fought a good fight fair & square.

see you in future races! God bless! =)

Jet Paiso July 7, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

hi wayne, your running experiences taught me a lot, you inspire me to go on mile after mile. thank you very much wayne! my 1st half mary is my sweetest so far. thanks again! God bless!

hi rs/mr. patrick, thank you too for injecting the running bug in me =) your a great influence in my running formation. i actually remembered your blog entry: just run! thank you sir! God bless!

hi bong, thanks for the tip, will do try that this coming Sunday's long run (not too long though, recovery period... you know hehehe). thanks again! God bless!

hey rod! apir! yep, i went home agad, nahihilo na ko eh sa init, gutom, pagod, etc etc etc. will definitely avoid any artificial shower next time. perhaps, we could suggest to the organizers, if ever they plan to have one, they locate it 1km near the finish line, para hindi parusa kundi incentive. thanks again bro! God bless!

run unlimited July 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

Congratulations Jet, it's good to meet you finally. Rest easy, recover and savor the experience from your first 21km race. See you again.

Anonymous,  July 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

Nice meeting you, Jet. Congratulations. You're right, my last 5k was the hardest. But we did it! Praise God!
-Xty

Anonymous,  July 7, 2009 at 5:33 PM  

Hi Jet. You don't know me but I came across your blog on Running Ninja's site. Congrats on your first 21k! I started running last year and I wanted to join my first half-marathon at the 2008 Milo Manila elims but they didn't have that side event so I ran 10K and did my first 21k at the Adidas KOTR. I still remember the feeling! I ran my second full marathon last Sunday, my first in Milo. I'm impressed on how prepared you are. I have learned a lot reading your post, thanks! I'll add these lessons on the already many lessons I've learned from running. Hope to meet you soon!--Alfred

Jet Paiso July 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

hi sir vener, thank you very much. i look forward to my full marathon soon. see you too, God bless!

hi ms cristy, so ikaw pala si xty hehehe sorry, mejo slow =) grabe no? parang may pader =) praise God talaga! thanks again and see you soon. God bless!

hi alfred, thank you! bro, alfred is also my real name =) i checked your blog, wow! you're fast bro! congratulations too for qualifying for the national finals! will follow your blog and learn from you as well. God bless!

Gingerbreadman July 7, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

Hi Jet! Congratulations on your first HM my friend , that is so nice to hear. :)We are so proud of you! Too bad you didn't attend the CLP, we had a wonderful time. Don't worry, many next times. Way to go Jet, rest up you deserve it!

Cheers,
Luis

Bro J July 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Hi Jet, it was nice meeting you! You did a good job out there. Just keep on running! See you on the road again.Congrats!

Jet Paiso July 7, 2009 at 11:23 PM  

hi luis, thanks bro! grabe pala, pero masaya! now i know! hehehe =) yep, sayang i missed the clp... di bale, next time, sure na! thanks again and God bless!

hi bro j, i'm so honored to meet you! thank you bro j! congrats too! God bless!

Anonymous,  July 8, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

Nice blog, Jet. Congrats on your first half-mary...I was surprised to see in your sked 2 Full Marathons in October. Good Luck on your training. Hope to run with you soon.

Jet Paiso July 8, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

hi sir mar, thank you! i'll only run one full mary in oct. not yet decided if qcim or sim. still discerning... God bless!

Joy K.,  July 12, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

Hi Jet! I really enjoyed reading your blog (even if I'm not a runner--just the mom of one). It's great that you are able to document your running experiences not just for yourself but all the running enthusiasts who read about them. Galing! I'm excited for your next Make Love Run! What a great way to run for a cause! Cheers!

Anonymous,  July 19, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

congratulations jet for hurdling the 21k hill....ask you can see, there are MORE HILLS BEYOND, some are higher. The important lesson is the EXPERIENCE. Use it to conquer the rest. KEEP ON RUNNING:)

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP