Powered by Blogger.

Friday, April 9, 2010

My Need for Speed


My running mode for the 1st 1000 kms is simply to build-up mileage. I deemed it necessary to have a very good base, before incorporating serious workouts in my training, and avoid injuries. I gained speed in the process, relying on the endurance that i developed and my gradual weight loss.

Image source: http://studentpartner.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/speed.jpg


For my next 2000 kms, I aim to continue building up mileage, do some speedwork and run injury-free. Yep, I'm still conservative. I really don't want to be sidelined and gain back the weight that I lose.

Speed brings the thrill in the race. It pushes a runner to its limits and discover the beauty of a body's system. Speed liberates, and brings a different kind of bliss.

When I think of speed, I can't help but think of my uncle, who is way faster than me. I only met him through this sport last year, and since then, I became his fan. I'm so proud of him and his racing achievements. How I wish that I also have the speed gene and achieve the same when I reach his age.


He clocked 3:30:05 in Condura Skyway Marathon!
Hope I also have the genes...



I chanced reading this article from Runner's World. It encourages speed workouts and lose weight in the process. NICE! I LIKE!

This race time predictor from runningforfitness.org is also very encouraging. It predicts that I can finish a 5hr marathon based on my recent 5k race finish. PROMISING!

IMHO, it's the Boston Marathon of the Philippines
Image source: www.nestle.com.ph/milo


Now I aim to participate in the 34th National Milo Marathon. Not as a finalist! I only want to make it to the cut-off time of 5 hours. It will be very daunting, but I just want to give it a shot.

"Kaya mo 'yan!" - Milo

"No pain, no gain!" - Robert Herrick

"No ID, no entry!" - Manong Guard

8 comments:

journeyingjames April 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

natawa ako kay manong guard, nakisali pa sa usapan...haha

Julie @ HotlegsRunner April 9, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

That manong guard quote should keep you motivated really! haha!

You can do Jetty! Yes, it is in the genes! I'll be rooting for yah =)

midnightrunner April 10, 2010 at 8:05 AM  

I know you can finish the Milo Nationals! It comes in two phases. One, there's the elims and the finals. Just take it one step at a time. :) Is it still like that for this year or they are just having one big race in July?

Anonymous,  April 10, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

NO VACAnCY-pag ndi mo natapos! hahahhaha...goodluck papa! lets do it! hehehhe

jj

Anonymous,  April 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM  

Hi Jet,

Stumbled on this post of yours...na-extra pa ako! Thank you for your kind words. Don't worry...if "speed" isn't in the genes (which I doubt)...I've been transferring the "force" to you when I see you on the road..."RUN.. RUN!"

From my end, I see you going up the hill (exciting stage of the game) while I am going downhill already ;).

I think you are right on track. Just take on your "need for speed" slowly but steadily....improving by a few seconds/minutes count over time.

Set reacheable goals by incorporating speed runs 5 or 10k once a month during your training to test yourself while you train for the Milo goal.

Will look for you tomorrow during the Mizuno run so you can meet your cousin;)

See you.

JPaiso

Anonymous,  April 13, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

join ka sa speed training namin sa ultra, papi!

Runningshield April 13, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

Hey jet
I meet your uncle ( Jo Paiso ) in Palms locker room early this year.
Looking at his race time he is a pretty fast runner. it’s really in the genes.
We would all like to be Kenyans But sometimes we just aren’t built to be one and that’s the reality that we have to face.
Whats important is the passion for you to run and to make your dreams come true. That for me is a real runner.
“ The Real Winners of the Race are not the Kenyans but YOU"

Raul Patrick Concepcion

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP