Powered by Blogger.

Friday, October 30, 2009

Moving On

To err is human, to forgive divine

Its been almost a week already since that fateful sundown marathon in Subic. Upon reaching home last Sunday evening, I immediately emailed Mr. Adi delos Reyes of E-ventologist, and told him my disappointments in his race. Adi responded the morning after. He was apologetic. I admired his leadership, for admitting his team's mistakes and taking full responsibility for everything.

I actually saw him during the race. He was in the starting line, guiding his team. I saw him driving along SCTEX, watching the participants run. And as I proceed to the finish line, I saw him clapping his hands to all who were about to be honored as marathoners.

Yes, I was angry at him. But I also realized, he is also a person who is prone to commit mistakes. This is not to defend him or anything, but I just want to put this straight. He may be new in the business of directing a race. And its not just his race. There are other stakeholders who have chosen him to take care of the event.

Rotary International District 3810 Governor Connie Beltran, Smart Sports Executive Director Mr. Pato Gregorio, General Sam Tucay, General Paul Bataoil, and Mr. Adi delos Reyes.
Photo by Mr. Jun Mendoza of philstar.com

He and his team may already have some experiences handling a race. But if I were one of those stakeholders who envisions the event to be the most prestigious international marathon in the Philippines, I will get somebody who is seasoned, who's second nature is race directing.


Sixth Man

Before I got hooked into the sport of running, the game of basketball is my very first love. It has taught me the value of teamwork. And when you talk about teamwork, its not about getting all the best talent. Its about making every talent fit for the team to deliver a single goal, no matter the cost.

I remembered the very recent juniors basketball game I coached. I only had six players. I knew it will be very difficult for them, but I kept them focused on the game, to support each other, and fill in the gaps and deliver as a team.

I also told them, that only one gets to rest for a while, and the others have to carry on while the clock is ticking. We won against a team of twelve.

If the stakeholders were really keen to get Adi to deliver their expectations, considering that he only has a number of race events under his belt, then they should have supported him by getting someone whom he could consult, who would mentor him, or better yet, assist him on race day.


The man with me in the above picture has a very good reputation in the running community. He may have his share of flaws, but he is quick to learn.

He was part of the team of the very first race I joined (Condura 5k). He was also the race director of Mizuno Infinity Time Trials, my first 15k run. He also directed the 33rd Milo Marathon Eliminations, my very first half marathon. In the Milo Finals, I still ran the half marathon, even if I should pass, as a preparation for my marathon debut, for I knew he was calling the shots.

His name is Mr. Rudy Biscocho. In case you would want to get in touch with this man, email me, and I'll be glad to give you his contact details.


Moving On

As for me, life goes on. I will continue to learn how to improve in this sport. I will continue to make love run. I will continue to share beautiful memories with my running buddies. I will see more of God's wonderful creation, moving one step at a time.

13 comments:

Julius October 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

Congratulations on the marathon finish, Jet! I hope to get tips from you guys as I prepare for my first marathon at Condura 2010. See you on the road, bro.

bong z,  October 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

Run on bro! Run tall, run strong, run proud! You are a marathoner!

Anonymous,  October 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Hi Jet,
We met during the marathon race last Saturday.
First time to run the marathon also. Your yellow jersey in front guided me during the darkest part of the road. Thank you. We both made it.
billy

Bald Runner October 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

jet, this is the truth. adi is the event manager who is in-charge with the publicity, marketing, and getting sponsorship for the race. retired chief supt sam tucay is the race director who is in-charge on the overall conduct of the race to include the technical and support needs for the runners. however, during the planning/preparation, adi was doing double jobs as event manager and at the same time the race organizer in behalf of c/sup tucay. but on race day, it was supposed to be a show of c/supt tucay but their plans did not deliver. i regret endorsing this race as it did not pass my standards compared to international marathon races i've participated. anyway, i am still waiting for the official statement of C/Supt Sam Tucay & Adi for explanations why things were not followed as planned. nice post & keep on running.

Anonymous,  October 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

grabe.... talaga ang unprepareness sa SIM... i was one of the DNF marathoner but when i was pick up by the marshal the REACT Group they also told me that are just been called that day to marshal the event. Anyway lesson learned that if the event run is out of town bring camel back or big hydration belt......hay buhay parang life

RPA October 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

ayos jet! let's move on! madami pa namang race. let's give the organizer din to redeem themselves. hoping that they have learned from their mistakes and they do a better job next time.

takbo pa, bro! =D

argonaut October 31, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

argonaut likes this... (may ganun ba rito?)
congrats jet! we rock!

Jet Paiso October 31, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

atty julius, thank you. huwaw! see you in condura marathon!

bongz, salamat bro! hk marathon? hmmmm... =)

billy, nice meeting you in sim. thank you for reading my blog. i'm glad i was able to inspire you in my own little way. God truly works in mysterious ways. happy that my shirt served as your guide in that gruesome dark stretch. congratulations too, my fellow marathoner and sim classmate! see you again!

sir jovie, thanks for enlightening us. will also wait for the official statements of gen tucay and adi.

james, may bladder bag ba na puedeng 2 types of hydration ang laman? yung isa, water. then yung isa beer para party agad pagtawid ng finish line hahaha

rod, yep, madami pang takbo to look forward to!

rodel, sana nga parang facebook itong blogspot hehehe congratulations too, my fellow marathoner and sim classmate!

Rico Villanueva November 1, 2009 at 2:08 AM  

Congrats again, Jet...Wherever you might move on, for sure you will bring your sunshine and positivism...I salute you for how you eventually dealt with the matter.

Jet Paiso November 1, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

thanks rico! see you on the road (and parties hehehe)

Sam TheRunningNinja November 1, 2009 at 1:20 PM  

jet,

Congrats again on finishing this race. galing mo!Kitakits sa PIM as our redemption run hehehehe.

Sam like This! (ala facebook)

Anonymous,  November 1, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

Congrats Jet! Make that Jet THE Marathon Man :D

Jet Paiso November 2, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

hey sam, mgf (may ganun factor?) hehehe sana nga may parang facebook din dito sa gmail na you could tag as 'like'.

ultramarathoner dhenz, thanks! nice race recap too!

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP