Powered by Blogger.

Friday, December 25, 2009

My Christmas Work-out

I mentioned in my recent post that I will incorporate XT (cross training) in my present marathon training program.

This blog entry will focus on my experience with stationary spin biking. I will talk about swimming more in the future (not to much progress to share at present hehehe).

Check out my spanking ride! Sorry Rodel, no step-knot for you to hitch hehehe

I was so excited with my initial ride, that for 30 minutes I covered a total of 22 kms. Being a newbie rider, I sought the opinion of takbo.ph members who are also into biking, and learned that what I did was a Tour de France material.

Sorry guys, you're all out of my league right now... maybe next time! hehehe
Image Source: http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/07_01/TourDeFranceES_468x330.jpg

I was convinced that I need to calibrate the tension of my stationary spin bike to mimic actual road ride. But before that, I also did some research on proper cross training with my chosen equipment.

The Complete Book of Running of Runner's World (1997) suggests that intermediate runners (logging 24 to 64 kilometers per week) who cross trains with a stationary bike should do a high cadence of not less than 90 rpm (revolutions per minute) for 30 to 45 minutes for a high intensity cardiovascular workout.

Being the diligent student that I am, I adjusted the tension just enough for me to feel my heart pounding as I spin my way and keep my rpm in between 90 to 100 (while watching my dad's favorite soap opera).

Hello Santino! Ask Bro to bless us always ha! Thanks!
Image Source: http://www.lalaineski.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/santino.jpg

Wow! In a few minutes, I can hear my heart pumping like crazy (should have worn my heart rate monitor... tsk tsk tsk... next time!) and I'm sweating profusely. I felt like I'm chasing our time's most popular rider.

Hey Lance, popularity surveys says you only won by a slim margin from the guy below.
Image Source: http://www.tabletpc2.com/Graphics/Other%20Photos/Assorted%202007/Oakley-Lance-Armstrong3.jpg


Better luck next time man! You're still my hero.
We'll ensure more kids will join the next survey.

Image Source: http://kecoakmelet.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/black_kamen_rider.jpg


I kept on spinning and spinning, thinking of all the calories I need to burn because of the Merry Christmas meals. Yep, I was very very guilty, eating to my heart's delight in all the parties I have attended.

Good thing my Takbo.ph Family organized a Christmas Eve run in UP.
I love you all!

Image Source: Pio Gaston

So how did I fared earlier? In 40 minutes (with 5 minute cool down) of 90 to 100 rpm spinning, I covered 24.38 kilometers.

Hmmm... looks like I need to further adjust the tension, and wear my heart rate monitor next time.

Merry Christmas =)

11 comments:

Kenkoy Runner December 25, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

i likey! aba, may balak mag duathlon? goodluck! :) have fun biking! (labas ka na lang mag bike!) ehehehee

Anonymous,  December 26, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

ibang level si jet! hehe, konti na lang talaga coach jet, di na kita iistorbohin sa mga newbie question and answer portion ko...and then you can run in peace again.

Happy 2010! - aleth

Anonymous,  December 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

Sayang! Gusto ko talagang makasama sa ride mo!! hehehe! Minsan nga pasubok check ko kung makakarating ako ng tagaytay....

Rodel

jetpaiso December 26, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

hey timmy, next time na lang multi-sport racing, di pa ko masyado confident eh hehehe sige, ilalabas ko yung bike ko sa garden para ibang view naman hahaha

hey aleth, di ako running coach. puede pa siguro basketball coach ng under 16 hehehe

hey rodel, sure! lagyan natin ng dvd na trip to tagaytay tapos itapat natin yung fan para feel na feel mo hehehe

Gingerbreadman December 26, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Ibang level ka na JEt! So.... Triathlete ka na din? No more stick to one? Hahaa :D

Jet Paiso December 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

gbm, triathlete maybe in the future, still figuring out how to swim competitively (pang-outing lang ang alam ko eh hehehe)

running will still be my first love... xt lang ang bike and swim =)

Anonymous,  December 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

your new indoor bike, i like. it's great to have that second xtraning sport jet. gives your body a respite from the constant pounding!:-)

Jet Paiso December 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

sir rene, yep, minus the pollution and road hazards =)

Bald Runner December 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

i suggest you get a DVD copy of any of the Tour De France Editions and play/watch it while doing your cross training. you pretend to be with the peloton while trying to keep in pace with the RPM/cadence of the cyclists.

Anonymous,  December 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

Nice one teammate! Tuloy tuloy lang ang training. Hopefully we can join a duathlon or triathlon this year.. Gaya nga ng sabi ni Chris Tomlin sa song niya, "Greater things are yet to come, greater things are still to be done"...=)

Jet Paiso December 29, 2009 at 5:58 PM  

good idea sir jovie, will look for a tour de france dvd and spin my way hehehe

hey nick, maybe a duathlon, depending on my progress in swimming hahaha

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP