Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

XT (Cross-Training)

I define cross-training (XT in sports parlance) as the alternative exercise to complement an athlete’s main sport. Key words are “alternative” and “complement”.

All the training plans that I went through devoted a day or two for XT. However, I intentionally neglected this part, and concentrated instead on running.

Now, I take a look at XT and learned its values. XT allows my running muscles to rest and recover, while I continue to build up endurance (and lose weight as another consequence hehe). XT develops my other body parts, for a total body fitness. XT exposes me to learn and excel in another sport.

As an alternative and to complement my running skills, I chose biking and swimming as my XT sports.


BIKING

I learned how to bike in the age of ten. It was a bit late. I remember my parents taking us to CCP complex in Pasay City, for recreational biking. There I frequent fell off my bike and sometimes bump fellow riders, which earns me a bruise before going home.

Nevertheless, I learned well, and when I reached my teens, my parents gave me a BMX bike. I biked in the morning, afternoon, and even at night. I biked around the village, to the convenience store, to the mall, and to another city with a friend who’s getting his allowance from his parents.

At present, I wanted to have a racer bike. I asked around, and learned that the cheapest and descent one to start with was worth Php 50,000.00. WOW! During my BMX days, bikenaps (equivalent to carnaps hehe) are rampant. Lawless elements either steal or rob your bike. I don’t think I’m ready to lose such a value.

So I got myself a spin bike. I was first introduced to this equipment during a spinning class in the gym, and to my delight, it felt like I got reunited to my first love.



SWIMMING

It was also late for me to learn how to swim. And my learning was limited to survival / recreational swimming.

I love swimming. In fact, swimming is a consideration for me whenever I buy a watch.

Swimming for me is relaxing, refreshing, and total body exercise rolled into one. And whenever there’s a swimming activity, my googles and boardshorts are ready for some fun action.

Now that I look at swimming as my XT activity, I got hold of the following essentials to aid me in my learning process:

Pull Buoy
Immobilizes your legs to train your arms to develop stroking action




Kickboard
Immobilizes you arms to train your legs to kick properly




Jammers
Gear for efficient swimming (less drag)





Coaches
Motivates and guides you through the drills


In my present marathon training program, I do XT twice a week. Mondays are for biking in our family room (in front of the television), while Wednesdays are for swimming in the Philippine Army Pool in Taguig City.



Image Sources:
http://www.localcatering.com/caterer/fitnessunlimited/pictures/MS%20Spin%20360s.jpg
http://www.metroswimshop.com/images/454__pull_buoy_753252___1225829020__48363700.jpg
http://www.all-americanaquatics.com/catalog/images/sp_kickboard.jpg
http://www.montecitosports.com/images/Swim/Speedo/JammerBk.jpg
http://sheerwill.blogspot.com/search/label/SWAC

3 comments:

Marvin December 14, 2009 at 3:35 PM  

wow may special mention pa kaming unofficial coaches! hehehe... thanks jet! ;)

RUNNING DIVA December 15, 2009 at 8:58 AM  

Nice header, eh? ;) Nice post, too! I congratulate you Jet for your commitment. I have witnessed how you "mutated" from slow ... to getting slimmer... to being stronger and faster! I was glad to have had the practice runs with you guys. Carry on!

Gingerbreadman December 15, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Naks, Ironman na ba to next year Jet? ?:P~~~

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP