Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

BDM 102k Weekend Filled with LOVE

Yep! That's how I want to put it!

Last weekend, 142 marathoners of all levels were branded as "warriors" of the 2nd Bataan Death March 102 kilometer Ultra-marathon (BDM 102). And with the warriors are their family and friends, who painstakingly looked after them, as they battle the daunting route our Filipino heroes braved some 68 years ago.

The Warriors of 2nd BDM 102
Photo courtesy of Brando Losario



With Doc Art, Pat, Glenn, Rod, Mar, Sam, Gab, Doc Topher, and Dhenz
Photo courtesy of Carina Manansala



With Pat, Doc Sherwin, Joen, Junar, Sir Jovie, Mark, and Doc Art
Photo courtesy of Brando Losario


Takbo.ph Class Pic (teka, iba ata ang banner??)
Photo courtesy of Brando Losario


They generously offered their time, talent, and treasure. They also endured the time spent by their warriors on the road. And to think that some of these friends have only known their warriors for less than a year, yet, they treated their warriors not as friends, but family.

With Jigger
Photo courtesy of Tin Sayson


With support crew Tin Sayson
Photo courtesy of Marvin Pangan



With support crew Marvin Pangan
Photo courtesy of Tin Sayson


I only finished 73 kilometers of the route in 14:11:14, due to blisters as big as the old peso coin on both feet that I got in kilometer 66, and swollen left ankle I got in kilometer 33. It was very hard for me to text the race director, Sir Jovie Narcise aka Bald Runner and submit myself to the DNF (did not finish) list. It was very disheartening, but it is something that I have to deal with.

I then decided to share my support crew and remaining supplies to my friends who are still in battle.

At first, I was ashamed to show up at the finish line. Later on, I decided to drag myself out of my car to the 102 km homestretch, and congratulate my friends as they nail their victory!

104 survived the 2nd BDM 102.


Special thanks to the following:

Doc Art Virata and Rodel Cuaton for sharing resources with me.

Tin Sayson, Lorie Padua, Julie Perez, Chelly Bautista, Marvin Pangan, Emil Ancheta, Earl Quero, and Ayette Padua for being our superb crew.

Henry Manas, Rommel Quisto, Adette Masongsong for the gadgets.

Taino Family, Pasimio Family, Venice Bayongan, and Morgan Nicanor for the coolers.

Vic Viola, Mark Castillo, and Cindy Sevilla for the shared hydration, pain killers, and water mist spray.

Lisa, a Bataan resident whose family owns the store at km 66 where I bought my medicated strips, who also happened to be a nurse, for treating my blisters.

SM Family for the shared hydration and treating my blisters at km 70.

SFC Family for the prayers.

Takbo.ph Family for the additional supplies, fun, inspiration, motivation, pictures, etc etc etc.

And to God, who is the source of all!


Update: Make Love Run 4

To date, I only have 1 donor who pledged P10/km I finish in BDM 102. I also learned earlier, that a friend also pledged an amount to fellow warrior Doc Topher Montaos, for my advocacy. Thank you for your kind souls!

I dedicated my run to the children of SAGIP. You too may take part in my advocacy. Any amount will be accepted, and will definitely cheer up the children of SAGIP.

11 comments:

Natz March 10, 2010 at 4:40 AM  

Jet, 73kms is a great accomplishment already. Try natin ulit next year. It's now how we fall, but how we stand-up after we fall that defines us.

notsquare March 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

The fact that you crossed the start line makes you an awesome runner already! Looking forward to knowing that you will run BDM again next year!!! :D

Congratulations!!!

Erick(shocks_5),  March 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

i'll join you next year...kaya natin yan bro!congrats!

RPA March 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

congrats bro!!! bawi tayo next year!

ronald March 10, 2010 at 5:55 PM  

those that doesn't kill us only make us stronger. just treat this as another training run. set up for a grand finish next year!

Julius March 10, 2010 at 10:52 PM  

Well done, Jet! 73km is 73km - nobody can take that away from you. Just let me know where to deposit the donation that Bam and I pledged. Next year, it'll be my turn to do BDM. Hope to have the privilege of running with you.

Anonymous,  March 11, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

Hi Jet 73kms is nothing to sneeze at, congrats for the feat, see you tonight! Sundaywarrior

Anonymous,  March 11, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

Jet am still proud of you! :) still you're an ultra marathoner! next year, revenge na :) hehe! atleast you know na what to expect. -tin

Anonymous,  March 11, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

Not everyone is brave enough to even consider joining BDM and 73K is not an easy task by any standard. Consider this your training for next year :)

Still congratulations for taking on the challenge! We're proud of you! Revenge =)

mar marilag March 11, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

maraming pang next time, jet...kasama pa rin tayo.

lolo_earl March 17, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

jet! congrats...you're still a warrior! see you on next bdm102...sa finishline na!

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP