Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

"Crawl if you must!"

Yep, I got injured.

Everything went well for the 1st 16kms. In fact, I registered my fastest 15km at 1:46 and 16km at 1:53. However, reaching km 19, pain started to set-in on my left hamstring just above the knee, and at the back of my right knee.

Pain in the areas marked with "X"
Image Source: http://missjewelz.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/legmuscles.jpg


This is very bad and sad news for me. I have to slow down and bid my 5 hour Milo® Marathon Dream goodbye. Next goal is to finish within the cut-off time of 6 hours, but I only managed to maintain the required pace up to km 29.

It was then that I resolved to continue the race with my heart. It was like hearing Dean Karnazes telling me "Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just never give up."

I tried running from one post, then walk the next post. But that episode last only until km 36. My legs just won't cooperate no more. I can't lift them. They're dead as a log.

It was here that I caught buddy Doc Roy, and we walked the rest of the route. Water was becoming scarce, but Doc Marvin who finished his half-marathon was on his bike, and giving water to his running friends who are still in the battle.

At km 39, we were joined by Makoy and Cindy, and helped us drag ourselves to the finish. Takbo.ph family were at the finish line, patiently waiting for us.

It was a very humbling experience. I learned to respect more the marathon distance. All the hard work I put into training may be not enough for me to realize my goal. But I know I'll run another day. I just have to get used to the speed at greater distances.

14 comments:

The Scientist Runner July 4, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

Sorry to hear this bro...but as you said, there is always a next time...see you on the road then...maybe in the milo finals next year?

Anonymous,  July 4, 2010 at 10:32 PM  

Hi Jet. Thank you for sharing the experience. I'm proud of you nevertheless and will ALWAYS encourage whatever happens. There will be another day and your dream will happen. The conditions were such that it was tough on everyone. Still congratulations on enduring and to the support team for being there. Rest and recover now is important. Please take care.

Julius July 5, 2010 at 12:22 AM  

Jet, I admire your perseverance. There will be many more opportunities for you to conquer the marathon distance, but you've already proven your heart. At the end of the day, that's all that really matters. Congratulations!

Runningshield July 5, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

you still did great. the marathon should be respected and what made you finish is your heart !!!! great run bro

daytripper1021 July 5, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

To finish a marathon is still a great achievement. So I still say, Congrats Jet!

I agree, it was nice to have finally met you face-to-face! :)

See u at the races! :)

argonaut,  July 5, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

Despite on what happened, I'm still proud of you for trying to finish the race.

Let's train more for the next one! hehe!

kassy July 5, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

Yikes, Jet. You're made of strength! Congratulations!!

Amado L. Castro, Jr. July 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

Dear Jet - You are a young man, there will be a lot of marathons for you and this last experience of yours will only but make you stronger not only in running but in life itself. Congratulations is what you deserve.

Anonymous,  July 6, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

So that's what happened...anyway there's still that achievement of finishing your race honestly despite the odds, Congratulations!

- dhenz

Anonymous,  July 6, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

Great fighting spirit, Fafih! That's the guts of a winner!:-)

tin July 6, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

Congratulations Jet! Crawling, walking, limping --- whatever term we may use - as long as you reach the finish line on foot (all 42.195k of it) makes each one of us a winner and deserving to be called marathoners. That was one tough feat! And we survived.

See you on the road!

carlo July 8, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

i salute you for choosing to finish the course though you were injured. you kept on, bro - and for that you deserve a pat on the back. you're a winner, dude. =)

recover well, bro!

RUNNING DIVA July 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

Congratulations, Jet!

You deserved to get a finisher's medal for what you did.

Gail July 9, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

You still finished it Jet! You finished without cheating, with all your sweat, blood and tears. I salute you for that. So proud of you! Mwah!

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP