Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Filthy Milo® Marathon Aftermath

On my way to the office this morning, I noticed something familiar lying along Macapagal Boulevard, where the hydration stations where placed in last Sunday's 34th National Milo® Marathon.




Its been 3 days already, and yet, no one's attending to this mess.

In my opinion, this was supposed to be addressed by either Milo®, Mr. Rudy Biscocho, Gatorade®, MMDA, or the city of Pasay and Parañaque.




I felt some degree of guilt, for I myself contributed to the mess. If only there are available bins near the hydration stations, then I could have easily disposed my cup after refreshing myself in last Sunday's grueling marathon race.

The easiest thing to do is to simply report the problem. But I chose to follow the example of Wayne of San Francisco, who after a running event, returned to the route and picked up the trash.

I wanna TAKE PART in the solution.

I brought along some garbage bags and sanitary gloves, and cleaned the littered areas of Macapagal Boulevard.




I noticed that the cups where dumped in the drainage that leads to the sewers. I would like to think that the rains did it, but I doubt.




I also remember in my marketing class, that a brand should also practice social responsibility. While I admired the advocacy of Milo® to provide running shoes to the underprivileged, I think the experience would make me associate the brand with the mess.




And that doesn't spare Gatorade® either, for it is their brand that is marked in the cups that I picked.




The drainage are now cleared, and the cups were in the garbage bag that I left along the side walk. Sorry, I have to leave them in the areas in the picture, for no trash bins are available to secure the garbage. At least the trash won't clog the drainage. I just hope the management of Aseana Business Park and HK Sun Plaza would figure and dispose the garbage bags.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

16 comments:

Gail July 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

great job jet!!! :) hope you'll inspire people to do the same

Kenkoy Runner July 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM  

nice job papijet!

may sideline na ikaw nyan! :) ehhehe

tama nga si jollibee...

kaya mo yan kid! :)

Anonymous,  July 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM  

Hi Jet. Thank you for being thoughtful on this. I agree that the organizers could have done something instead of ignoring the situation. Interestingly when typing this, I've received word that the Bay To Breakers 12K race next year will NOT allow alcohol on the course. I don't see how this can be done but alcohol was one of the major reasons of the trash problems last May. Continued recovery from last Sunday. Please take care.

maven` July 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

i'm giving you a pat on the back right now! :)

Arthur July 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM  

I salute you, Jet!! You are right, the event oragnizer must be responsible in cleaning the route after the event. Pasay & Paranaque should fine Milo and Gatorate for littering. Let's hope the organizer don't let this happened again at other qualifing venues, especially at the final.

Julius July 8, 2010 at 1:34 AM  

Bro, special mention ka sa bagong blog post ko hehehe. :) See you soon!

midnightrunner July 8, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

Love this post and what you did.

Tracy Carpena July 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

Good job, UltraJet! :)
Crosstraining? Hehe. Hope race organizers will take note of this. :)

Anonymous,  July 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

that was really great jet. ;)

Anonymous,  July 8, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

I think someone forgot to do something before wrapping up hehe... Seriously I think that cleanup is the main responsibility of the organizers. It's a good thing we have concerned citizens like you, good job Jet! Isa kang mabuting halimbawa sa lahat! :D

- dhenz

Anonymous,  July 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

Nice job, Jet. Idol ka! Gatorade should send you drums of their product to feast on!

MILO too!

RPA July 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

hats off to you, pare.

Bald Runner July 8, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

good job, jet! if only all the Filipinos, including the politicians, could do what you have done, our country would be going to be the most progressive country to live in.

kassy July 9, 2010 at 11:09 AM  

I dread all those people who just threw the cups and wasted water by just playing around with the cups or threw each other water for "fun"

Nice Job Jet! Alas, a runner who cares for the environment as well :)

Anonymous,  July 9, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

MABUHAY KA JET! I SALUTE YOU....(alam ko rason kung bakit ndi mo nalang sinakay sa kotse mo ung thrash bag! heheh...super OC ka kasi sa kotse! heheh)...I was proud to what you have done..very few are left among your deeds...you will be bless and rewarded...

jj

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP