Powered by Blogger.

Friday, December 16, 2011

My 1st Tri

Best to experience for better understanding, than keep on bashing without even trying.

That's my reaction the 2nd time I encountered the funny "Ironman vs UltraRunner" debate (see video below).

And I agree with what fellow ultra-runner Atty. Haide Acuna said in her write-up that its pointless to compare the two sports for I experienced myself both worlds that are are totally different with each other.

With fellow Bedan Paul Minano
Photo courtesy of Kathy San Blas/Paul Minano

Last Saturday, Dec 10, 2011 in UPLB, I joined the Speedo National Age Group Triathlon Mini-Sprint (400m swim, 16k bike, and 3k run).  It was my first tri event.  The emotions I had in my other firsts were pretty much the same, only that you could feel the tension of participants as they await for their turn to have a taste of the very deep pool (I think its more than 8 feet.  It has a spring board for diving competitions!) of UPLB.
With GMA News idols Cesar Apolinario and Ivan Mayrina
Photo courtesy of McCoy Lontoc

I was accompanied by fellow Bored member McCoy in my adventure.  Friends Beeps and Sid were also competing in the Mini-Sprint and Sprint (800m swim, 32k bike, and 5k run), respectively.  I was happy to see my college classmate Paul who's also TRIing his first.
Jittery
Photo courtesy of McCoy Lontoc

I wasn't confident swimming alongside fellow participants.  I was afraid to get hit and lose my balance and panic.  Many times, I stopped and secured myself holding the buoy, to allow the swim bullies take my lane.  Finishing the swim leg was a like going out of hell, and it took me some time to collect myself during transition 1 (swim to bike).
See!  I let all the bullies finish first before I swam
Photo courtesy of McCoy Lontoc

The bike leg was a breeze.  I rode confidently despite of the open traffic and humps of UPLB campus.  I was also overtaking some who were on their trail bikes.
Yebah!
Photo courtesy of McCoy Lontoc


During the run part, I knew that the best that I could pull is a 7 min/km pace.  My present frame will definitely give me a hard time running fast.  Besides, I'm an ultra-runner, and spending hours running the road is a bliss for me.
Praise God!
Photo courtesy of McCoy Lontoc

Approaching the finish line, I was convinced, triathlon and distance running are incomparable.  But there is one thing that is common in both sports: the heart to conquer oneself and finish strong.
Recovery meal with McCoy
Photo courtesy of Keshia Fule

2 comments:

Kenkoy Runner December 16, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

welcome to the tri world bored jetpai! :) kamusta? enjoy kasama ang mga TRAN diba? :) magkakasundo kaayo sa TRIbatels after the race! :)

Run Kick Smash December 17, 2011 at 12:17 PM  

Great post Jet! I hope you'll grow more on both sports bruh!God bless!

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP