Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Back to Back Games

Sometime January, I made a mistake of registering into 2 consecutive sporting events in one weekend.  I was again just like the happy-go-lucky Joe that goes with the flow.

I just realized about it some 2 weeks ago.  I wasn't prepared and I'm about to press the panic button.  All I have is the training that I got from attending RunRio's Running Clinic.  Good thing the Clinic somehow boosted my confidence.

Pocari Sweat Duathlon
February 25, 2012
Bonifacio Global City
6k Run, 30k Bike, 4k Run

All I ever wanted from this race is to redeem myself from my DNF in my first duathlon attempt.

I was wary of my pace in the 1st run leg.  I made sure I maintain a comfortable 7min/km pace.  I wanted cramps to be at bay, that's why I always see to it that I drank a cup of Pocari Sweat AND water every time I pass the hydration station.



I learned the bike leg in BGC is dangerous, due to crossing pedestrians, and open traffic.  I was extra careful when crossing intersections, and shouted "BIKE!" at the top of my lungs whenever I see a pedestrian crossing.

Instead of finishing 7 loops, I only finished 6, for I was advised by the marshals that the organizers closed the bike route.  I heard that somebody figured an accident, but I was not able to confirm this.


Photo courtesy of Keshia Fule

My official finish times: 0:42:22 Run 6k | 1:07:42 Bike 27.7k | 0:33:41 Run 4k | 2:23:45 Total.

RUNew 2012
February 26, 2012
Filinvest-Ayala Alabang
21k

My goal is simply to finish.

I had a hard time in the 1st 7 kms.  I thought I was gonna DNF.  I was already flirting with DNF in my mind.  I was trying to feel my calf.  I knew I'm not yet recovered from the duathlon.

I then decided to take it easy, especially during ascends.  I walked, and didn't mind the other runners passing me.  I was already setting my expectations to finish after 3 hours.

But approaching km 16, I suddenly felt like I have some more energy to spare and propel me to finish.  I ran and was surprised I could sustain a 7min/km pace, with walk breaks to hydrate.

I crossed the finish line in 2:50:41 (as per picture below).

Photo courtesy of Rod Apolinario


Praise God I survived both games.  Now, back to training.  =)

2 comments:

Anonymous,  March 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM  

Yey! Congrats. - bards

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP