Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Race Report: Alaska Cycle Philippines 2015

Well, this isn't exactly a race, but I would like to share my ride experience in Alaska Cycle Philippines held last May 17, 2015 at the Mall of Asia Complex, Pasay City.

I was not prepared for the event, as I have no cycling mileage since I figured in a freak accident after Tri United in Subic last October 2014 which injured my lower back.  I gained weight while nursing my injury.

Wanting to get back into the training groove, I signed up in the 40 kilometer Challenge Ride.  Claiming my kit at the expo center that was set up inside the Microtel Hotel felt like I was a newbie all over again.  The very organized claiming system facilitated the easy release of items from one counter to another.  Cycling products brought by partner retailers made it easy for participants to purchase the much needed gear or supply for the event.




The start and finish lines were set up at the SM by the Bay along Seaside Boulevard.  The atmosphere was very festive in this area, as in the past Cycle Philippines events.

I joined wave F, and we were released at exactly 5:55 AM.  We were first directed towards Microtel and made a U-turn going to One Esplanade.  Then we turned left in JW Diokno Boulevard, passing the Senate Building.  We turned right in Gil Puyat going to the Philippine Trade Training Center.  We turned right in Roxas Boulevard and here is where most of the action happened.  Challenge Ride participants were to loop the stretch of Roxas Boulevard from City of Dreams to the Cultural Center of the Philippines for four (4) times.  Now, that's passing through two (2) flyovers for eight (8) times!  The Challenge Ride lived up to the expectation.

Makoy, Bobby, and myself waiting for our wave release.
Photo courtesy of Bobby Cruz
Medics were available to attend to cyclists who suffered cramps or figured in minor accidents along the route.  I find the hydration station in Baclaran was strategic to ensure that the supply of Gatorade and water are enough for all cycling participants.

After four (4) loops, cyclists were led to the service road in Roxas Boulevard going back to Gil Puyat Avenue and JW Diokno Boulevard.  I crossed the finish line in Seaside Boulevard after 1:53:50.

Finishers were then led to the tents in the event area to claim their medals, Mc Donald's breakfast, Gatorade, water, and Regent snacks.  There were also items raffled off for all participants.

Once again, Sunrise Events, Inc. did a very good job running a Cycle Asia event in the Philippines.  Congratulations to all finishers!

Roselle, Bobby, Angela, and myself are all smiles after the ride.
Photo courtesy of Angela Abad

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP