Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Come Hell or High Water??

Weather nowadays are getting crazy. I never imagined hearing the Philippines experiencing tornado and hailstorm. I only know of other countries having these weather phenoms. Is this a sign that our country is really going global?

Driving home from work, I heard from the news that Tropical Cyclone Feria (international codename: Nangka) caused some tornadoes and hailstorms in some parts of the Philippines.

MTSAT-EIR Satellite Image
8 p.m., 24 June 2009
Source: www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/


It really brings shivers into me, as I'm presently undergoing training for long distance running, with building mileage as my newbie objective.

Being the diligent trainee that I am in any program that I'm into, I always see to it that I adhere to every training session to successfully complete the program, come hell or high water.

But right now, honestly, I am guessing. I dig running in the rain (please click here and here). But in a storm? Will I risk myself and experience in live action the hailstorms and tornadoes? What if some galvanized roof or boulders or enormous tree branches hit me while running?

I guess I need to skip my 10k tempo run and stay home in case Feria/Nangka goes frenzy tomorrow morning.

But just to be sure, like the good old trainee in me not skipping a class, I'll check the 11PM bulletin of the PAGASA weather bureau later for my peace of mind.

Wachathink?

5 comments:

Anonymous,  June 25, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Hi Jet. I've always run in the rain unless there's a thunderstorm. Then, I'll find an indoor track or a place that has a treadmill. It's only happened a couple of times with me. However, seeing this map is scary.

In September 2001, I didn't realize this but I was on business in Taiwan and I ran in a storm from a cyclone that had just passed through the area. It was a little scary with debris coming from every which way.

jetpaiso June 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

hi wayne, 11PM PAGASA bulletin says that cyclone Feria (Nangka) became weak and became a tropical depression. i slept immediately hoping to proceed with my training.

however, when i woke up 5:30AM, the rains are pouring and scared me. had my recovery sleep instead hahaha =)

guess i'll have to re-enroll in the gym and settle for the treadmill whenever there's storm.

thanks wayne!

Bong June 26, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Hi Jet! I think it's el nino causing all these strange extreme weather conditions. I like your blog and hope you don't mind my including it to my favorite running blogs. Good luck on your training for your next race.

Gingerbreadman June 26, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

Jet, running in the rain is fun haha. I'm thinking it could be a wet and wild Botak tomorrow midnight. Take it easy buddy.

Cheers,
Luis

Jet Paiso June 26, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

hi bong, sure, my pleasure! wait, you're bong pagong? wow! i'm following your blog! i learned so many things about running from your entries. thank you for inspiring newbie runners like me. =)

luis, yep, running in the rain is fun, and i enjoyed it a lot. but the storm, too scary man! hehehe... good luck on your botak 50k ultraman!

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP