Powered by Blogger.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Discerning a Marathon Dream

Last week, I got a very strong inspiration about long distance running. Reading the blogs of fellow runners about their marathon and ultra-marathon experiences somehow reached and touched the deepest part of my heart.

Just to share with you, God made me dream 7 dreams the last Apr 6 when I attended the Kerygma 2009 Holy Week Retreat. He made me ask these dreams in His Name. And I prayed for these very dear dreams. One of my dreams is to run 5 & 10 Kms this year, 15 & 21 Kms in 2010, and 42 Kms in 2011. Below my dream is His word printed on the sheet that says "Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my Name He will give you." (John 16:23)

I ran 16 Km last Sunday. I'm running 15 Km this coming Sunday in the Mizuno Infity Run event. Wow, praise God! He's blessing me ahead! I asked for the 15 Km for next year, and He already gave it to me. What an amazing and awesome God!

Now back to my inspiration. As I continue surfing the internet, my heart got a bit excited upon reading the quote of Priscilla Welch above. I can sense some degree of holy intervention, but not just yet.

Then I checked on the race events for the remainder of the year. I saw first the Subic International Marathon, scheduled on Oct 24 to 25. Quite interesting because it will be a midnight marathon, where chances of having a heatstroke may be lessened a bit. But my heart yearns for that type of marathon where I can also marvel at God's wonderful creation.

And so I continued the check and was led to the Quezon City International Marathon (QCIM), scheduled a week ahead, which is Oct 18. I told my heart, "Wait a second... not too fast buddy!" Check, and re-check, and re-check. I went again to the SmartCoach of Runners World for consultation. I got another 16 week training plan, which will commence Jun 29. Ok, I'm not yet convinced. Re-check again.

While having our recovery meal last Sunday, I opened the idea of the QCIM to Nicky, Henry, and Rafa. Felt like they were just trying to carry the conversation. But going home, Mia (Henry's spouse) texted me, asking me to email them my marathon training plan. I said ok, of course, but I'm not yet convinced, I think...

I was about to sleep 10 PM for my Tuesday morning recovery run, when I chanced upon RunMD's May 8, 2009 blog entry. Hope its ok, man, if I copy/pasted what is written in your running calendar, as follows:

No one masters the marathon. Anything can happen on its long tortuous course, which is why it is such a seductive and exciting event. It’s in your interest to arrive at the starting line with this humility.

Believe it or not, it’s better to undertrain than to overtrain. What you haven’t developed by race day can sometimes be overcome with adrenalin and desire. For an overtrained runner, the race is over before it starts.

Seek support. Train with a partner or a running group. Get your loved ones to cheer you on at the race. Raise money for a cause. The road to the marathon can be long and lonely. Let others help you get there.

Isn't it amazing? While I can really sense His leading for me to pursue this desire planted in my heart, I need to do my part on preparing for my marathon. I still have 130 days as advised by the countdown timer above (as of this writing). Anything can happen. Anything can happen.

So to my running buddies, Nicky, Rafa, Henry: I praise and thank Jesus for you have supported me well in the Sunday runs. May God bless you further with good health and other blessings you need for His glory. As in the past running events, I pray that we all get to the marathon finish line, and have our recovery meal as usual, together.

That in all things, God may be glorified!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  June 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

i hope you pursue your dreams in running your first full mary. good luck!

as the great marathoner Emil Zatopek said:
"We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon."

-jazzrunner

Jet Paiso June 4, 2009 at 11:52 PM  

wow, i'm following your blog mr. jazzrunner! thanks for the inspiration. yep, will run qcim 42k =)

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP