Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Roasted (almost!)

Background

I did a lot of thinking before I signed up for Kenny's Open Urbanite Run (KOUR). You see, I'm following a training plan, and my mileage prescription for August 16 is to run 29km @ 7:58. KOUR was scheduled a day earlier, and the longest event was only 15k. Add to that the relatively expensive registration fee of Php 600. And I am no longer excited with the ChampionChip, knowing that I'm still on training mode.

I have only two reasons in joining this event: [1] support the causes of Hands On Manila and 57-75 Movement; and [2] party after the run with takbo.ph gang.


August 8, 2009 (Saturday)

I registered in Kenny Roger's Mall of Asia. I was impressed with the way their staff assisted me. He explained to me every single detail about the event, and made me really hungry when we're on the Urbanite Meal part. Immediately after payment and release of my claim stub, I lined up on the counter to avail my quarter roasted chicken, spaghetti, fruit and vegetable salad, corn muffin, and Coke Zero.


August 10, 2009 (Monday)

The route was out. OMG! 15k will pass through Bayani Road, Heritage Park Cemetery, and McKinley Hills. My supposed long run will become a hill training session for me!


August 13, 2009 (Thursday)

1st day of release of KOUR kits in BHS. I have a scheduled 10k tempo and decided to run it in BHS, to get my kit after, and join the takbo.ph gang in Joey Pepperonni for the carbo-loading party.

Initially, I ran with Timmy and Ten. After a few meters and sensing that I may be a 3rd wheel (hehehe), I broke out and joined Roselle instead. Whew! My tempo was her easy, and I'm really pushed and challenged with this lady. I'm glad I ran with her, for it helped me a lot in my training session for the day.

After the run, I proceeded to the KOUR booth near NBC tent to claim my kit. While many experience some hassles in claiming theirs, I was blessed to just spend a couple of minutes in getting mine.

Next, I met Roselle, Shel, and Arthur, and together we went to the carbo-loading party. Wow! Joey Pepperonni was jampacked! The whole place was full of takbo.ph people, and I ate 3 servings of pasta (carbonara, pesto, and linguini).


August 15, 2009 (Saturday)

Race day. I hit the road 5PM with Cesar, hoping that we arrive in BHS before 6PM and sneak a 10k run before the race to somehow make up for my 29km training plan for the weekend. But traffic was horrible, and we got there at 6:45PM, very hungry! We went straight to Krispy Kreme instead for some doughnuts and coffee.

After filling up, we then checked in, and felt kinda weird. It's a night run, but why do I feel like it's hot? Must be my pre-race snack? Nope! Weather was humid! Double bad news for me: hills and humidity.

Good thing the organizers are very capable providing hydration to all runners. It was always heaven for me when I see their long tables along the way, with cups filled with either water or energy drink.

My poor vision also added a significant degree of anxiety, for I am very worried with the small potholes, especially at the dark areas along the route. Luckily, I have in my car my handy dynamo flashlight, and I have no choice but to run with it.

So how was my run? I finished my 15k hills training with a chip time of 1:59:33. Great! I still achieved my 7:58 training pace.

Here's my stats and Photovendo:



Photo credits: Photovendo, Marvin, and Pio.

9 comments:

run unlimited August 20, 2009 at 7:26 AM  

Hi Jet, congrats on your hill training urbanite run. It was really humid that night I'm glad you did well. So what happened on the next day, did you still have your 29km? Regards.

Kenkoy Runner August 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

ayot! SPECIAL mention pa ako ;) hehehe :) kaya mo yang bawiin next time (with regards sa training plan mileage) (teka, bakit lahat ata kayo nag ttrain na? ako lang hindi? hmmmm)

congrats again bro! :) til next race!

Jet Paiso August 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

@sir vener, nope, i slept and watched the admu-dlsu game =) to make up, i ran 10k's last monday and tuesday

@timmy, ganun na nga nangyari... make up sessions ulit (parang college hehehe)

Anonymous,  August 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

congrats jet!
-cindz

carlo August 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

i had a hard time myself during that run.
but nevertheless, though we were "roasted", we still did good nonetheless.

congrats, jet! =)

Running Diva August 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

So, how does it feel to finish this particular race? :D Did you know that I had to pour water on my head every time I reach each water station ... well except for one when the guy said, "don't pour it, not water!" ;) Congrats, Jet!

truman August 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

nice! :) haven't been past 10K...maybe soon!

Jet Paiso August 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

thanks carlo, congrats too =)

hey roselle, this is tough because of the humidity. sa sobrang bilis mo naabutan ka pa nung guy before you poured the energy on your head? =)

hey brian, you can do 15k and farther =) patience is the key bro =)

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP