Powered by Blogger.

Monday, October 19, 2009

T minus 5 days, and counting...




Yep, 5 days to go before my marathon debut in Smart Subic International Marathon. I initially wanted to pursue this dream in 2011, but in my discernment, I strongly believe that God led me to experience this joy this year.

Health Checkpoint

Coming from 199lbs in 2007 with occasional palpitations somehow created a monkey in my back, trying to outsmart me in my trainings. To finally deal with this stupid clown, and as prescribed by most runners, I went to our office clinic and have myself checked.

This time, I was advised to undergo Echocardiogram (2-D echo), stress test, lipid profile, thyroid, and CBC checks.

I was very nervous while undergoing the tests, thinking the results may blew my marathon dream.

Last Wednesday, I got the results of my blood tests. Lipid profile reflects almost perfect results, except for the high uric acid which I've been dealing with for the past 2 years. Thyroid was normal, as well as CBC.

Yesterday, I went to the hospital to get my 2-D echo and stress test results, and see my internist-cardiologist. Results were all normal. And I was prescribed to take 15omg of allopurinol for 3 months to treat my hyperuricemia (excess uric acid in blood plasma). I will have to save this after the marathon. Do we have doctors reading this entry? Care to enlighten me further on this? Thanks!

What's with the Number?

Take a look at my race bib number. I am runner 104. I am trying to understand its significance in my quest to belong to the elite group of marathoners, which is one-tenth of one percent of the population (according to good friend and coach, Mr. Jeff Galloway).


As I flex my brain, I only arrived in this answer: OK. In CB radio lingo, "10-4" means "OK", "Affirmative". Whoa! It's all systems go for me. I'm ready!

Race Goal and Strategy

For my marathon debut, my goal will be very very simple: CROSS THE FINISH LINE.

How? Coach introduced me to the run-walk strategy. I was hitting the wall way too early, and since I've adapted his technique, I find myself stronger in the long run. When to walk? I have a green light to take it as much as I want!

Coat of Arms

In the year 490 BC, there was a messenger named Phidippides who trekked from the Plain of Marathon to Athens to report a great Greek victory. It is in his honor that the marathon was born as an event in the first modern Olympic Games (Athens, 1896).

As I embark to commemorate the run myself, I will also be a messenger, sent out to make every single man and woman to experience the love and peace of Jesus.

And as I contemplate on my coat of arms, I remember the two great institutions that molded me. In my research, I found out that I could actually combine the symbols of these institutions, thus, the winged lion. Further, I learned that it is the very symbol of St. Mark, the Evangelist.


Remaining Training Days

I have a few easy and tempo runs left as ordered by my marathon training plan. Tomorrow, I will run an easy 5k at 7PM in MOA Complex. On Thursday, I plan to run 5k tempo run in the morning in Manila Memorial Park. As usual, all runs will be in the Mall of Asia Complex, at 7PM. Wanna join? See you!

4 comments:

Gingerbreadman October 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

Taper mode :) You can do this Jettt! Been training so hard for this. I have no doubt it will all pay off on Sunday :P We should have a blast there hehe.

run unlimited October 19, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

Good luck Jet, our thoughts are with you. Crossing that finish line will change your life forever.

Anonymous,  October 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

Good luck and congratulations this early. I will pray that you finish the race victorious and injury-free.

Can't wait to read about your first full marathon account.

Anonymous,  October 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

Good luck Jet! Run safe and God bless :D

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP