Powered by Blogger.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Take a walk! It works!

After my 1st marathon in Subic last October, I embarked on another marathon journey, following a plan prescribed by Jeff Galloway in his book entitled MARATHON, this time, targeting Condura in February 2010 as my next marathon.

The plan encourages walk breaks and spontaneous bursts of speed to develop leg muscles for fast and slow runs. Known for his run injury-free program, I'm pretty confident that Galloway's training plan will work wonders for me.

What I like best about this plan is that my Sundays are now either speedwork or long run. My easy/recovery runs are now on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Mondays and Thursdays are cross-training days, while Saturdays are strictly rest days.

And so last November 8 in the Philippine International Marathon, I broke my 10k PR, shaving eight (8) minutes. I remembered, in my very 1st 10k run, I did not took any walk break. But in this race, I had so many walk breaks, and I even went to the comfort room which is a few meters to the finish, to take a pee, before zooming my way to the finish line.

Last November 22 in the Fit 'n Right Fun Run, I broke my 5k PR, shaving three (3) minutes. Again, walk breaks proved to be phenomenal for me.

For a newbie runner like me, I believe in what Jeff Galloway has to offer in pursuing a marathon dream. Walk breaks are essential in the sport of endurance running. So go ahead, take a walk!

Image source: http://www.d21c.com/trpl7kat/Woman_Walking_Feet.jpg

6 comments:

Art,  December 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

Hoy... Anong newbie runner? Hahaha. Nice work, Jet. Keep on running!

daytripper1021 December 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

this is mind-opening. nice post!

-roelle
http://daytripped-running.blogspot.com

Amado L. Castro, Jr. December 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

Dear Jet - same comment - What newbie runner? What works should be good!

Anonymous,  December 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

Hi Jet. Galloway's books are good and I recommend it for any new runner. When I came back from my achilles tendon injury last year, I used his 16 week program to get ready for a 21K and it worked to prefection. I agree with Amado that whatever works is good.

Good that your running is going well. Take care my friend!

Wayne
http://sfrunnr.wordpress.com

erick (shocks_5),  December 2, 2009 at 10:13 AM  

Go Galloway believer!!buo tayo ng group for condura42K:)Congrats!

Jet Paiso December 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

thanks roelle! i'm also reading your blog... you're getting faster ha! hope to meet on the road!

doc art, i'm still a newbie! well, perhaps advanced beginner is more appropriate hahaha

sir amado, nice garmin 310xt you have there =) it was pleasure meeting you sir last sunday!

hi wayne! yep, i'm happy with galloway's training plan. hope i could sustain and be injury-free, all the way to condura and bdm!

hi erick! puede! run-walk's the best!

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP