Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Review: Nike and Nike Air Pegasus+ 25


I once got the impression that Nike is overrated, with its numerous advertisements and celebrity endorsements. I really felt that if ever I purchased a Nike product, I’m not only paying for the product itself, but also for the talent fees of Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and now, Manny Pacquiao.

But now that I’m into running, and learning more about the brand from Jaymee Pizarro aka The Bull Runner and Hector Yuzon of Secondwind Running Store, I had a change of heart, and was convinced to give the brand a chance.

Nike Sweet Classic
My 1st Nike (and obviously, its not for running!)


Nike derived its name from the Greek goddess of victory. The company was incorporated as Blue Ribbon Sports (BRS) in January 25, 1964 by University of Oregon track and field athlete Philip Knight and his coach, Bill Bowerman. BRS started as a distributor of shoes manufactured by Japanese Kihachiro Onitsuka (yep, of the ASICS brand).

So that's why there's BRS either in the in-soul or the out-sole.


Being a track and field coach, Bowerman understands the very need of an athlete in a shoe. He did some experiments with some liquid urethane and his wife’s waffle iron, and was led to the discovery and perfection of the “waffle” sole in the 70s. In 1972, BRS launched its own line of footwear, and branded them as Nike. And in 1978, BRS renamed itself officially as Nike, Inc.

Hello Mr. Bowerman!


The Waffle of Nike Air Pegasus+ 25


Click here to know more about Nike’s passion into running and other sports, from Jaymie Pizarro's account.


Nike Air Pegasus+ 25

This shoe celebrated the 25th year of the Pegasus model. Being a newbie, I noticed that runners are using this shoe model, and I got bit by the curiosity bug to look and own one.

I'm size US 8.5 wide. I'm not sure if Nike distributes wide shoes in the country, so I simply got a US 8.5 standard. It fit perfectly, without trying to "jog in place". My mistake!

Nike Air Pegasus+ 25, US size 8.5 standard
My 1st 1000km Reward


The following day, I felt like my feet are cramped at the 1st kilometer of the test run. It's getting snug in the middle and forefoot. Its out-soles are not flexible in the forefoot. As a remedy, I interchanged my lace from my other shoe brand to loosen a bit for a comfortable fit, and run.

Notice the lace? Its from my other shoe =)


After changing the laces, I'm getting used to the shoe's responses, and find its cushioning very very effective, and relatively lightweight compared to my other cushioning pair.

My Nike Air Pegasus+ 25 is part of my 3 kings, and I will name him Tito, and will use him for runs not longer than 21km.

The 3 Kings: Tito, Vic, and Joey
Image Source: http://media.photobucket.com/image/tito%20vic%20and%20joey/wattatoe/Vst.jpg

Next review: Nike Air Citius+ 2 (Vic), and Nike LunarGlide+ (Joey).

8 comments:

mar marilag January 7, 2010 at 6:14 AM  

Nice post, Jet! Informative indeed! NIKE should send you more models of their shoes for free! LOL...and tito, vic and joey should sponsor your runs too!

Kenkoy Runner January 7, 2010 at 7:11 AM  

ohhhh im thinking the glide will be joey kasi makulit ang kulay nya! wahahahaha :) peero pwede ring vic kasi matinik sa chicks! :) wahahahaa

nice history :) (see asics the bomb!) hahaha

argonaut,  January 7, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

nice nice nice!!! keep it up! ayos ang pagkakarelay ng story. details of the review is not that much pero you'll get the idea. aesthetic? kamusta?
maganda siguro may functional test done... well, un na nga cushioning, anu pa ba pde? hmm, pakiramdam sa toes? pde ba yun... I'm just thinking outloud jet, pero i like it!

Unknown January 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM  

Pegasus kid na din ako. Except when i use my Vomeros :-)

Julie @ HotlegsRunner January 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

I thought I was gonna feel hurt and offended reading your blog. hahaha! You see I've always been a Nike girl. super! since day 1. haha! glad you're liking your shoes =)

Jet Paiso January 8, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

coach mar, that will be nice if nike and tvj sponsors me (how does this sound: team nike tvj hehehe)

timmy, yep, i was also surprised to learn about nike's humble beginnings...

rodel, thanks for the inputs. yep, need to work on some more for better reviews (and hope that i get the privilege for free product tests.

rj, i'm actually looking for a vomero... sad that i didn't purchased the 1st one i saw on sale... maybe not meant to be hehehe

julie, it was like on now that my road and nike's crossed... i'm loving it!

RPA January 8, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
RPA January 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

nice review, bro!

with my nike's though, i think i still have to get intimate with them. parang need tlaga nya ma break-in.

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP