Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

My Condura Skyway Marathon Story


I am happy with my marathon race this morning with Condura Run 2010. I trained with a 4:40:00 Galloway training plan, and conservatively targeted a 6:00:00 marathon finish.

I had a short discussion with Rico over the Takbo.ph shoutbox, and I told him that I'm treating this marathon like my first. And I was advised that I try to be just a little bit aggressive at the start, in order to allot some time towards the finish for minor adjustments, if necessary.

I followed. Still conservative, I resolved to target a 5:30:00 finish.

I took a leave yesterday, to spend time resting. I watched Spirit of the Marathon and Without Limits, given by Neil, for some motivation. After the movies, I took a nap and woke up just in time to do some personal errands and hear the anticipated Mass.

When I arrived home, I immediately worked on preparing my gear for the race, boy scout style. Then I went to bed at 8PM. Boy, I can' sleep! I guess I was too uneasy with the race task, and felt like the target was a very tall order. Nevertheless, I kept my eyes shut, and rolled over my bed several times.

I got up 1:30AM. Ate my pre-race meal, prayed, and took a bath. I left home 2:30AM to pick up Rod. We arrived in BHS a little past 3:00 AM and did our final pre-race preparations. Atmosphere was a mix of festivities, excitement, and some degree of tense.

While at the starting pen, I learned that Neil was also targeting a 5:30:00 finish. He will paced by Mar. I was thinking of running with them, but I have a 4:1 run/walk plan, and contented to run at a distance.

Race started at exactly 4:00AM (typical Rudy Biscocho race). Everything went well as planned. I was running comfortably at 7:30 - 7:49 min/km pace. Neil and Mar were behind me, while I draft behind the group of Junar, Angel, Paul, and Allen. This was the story in the first 10km of the race.

Reaching Buendia, I got the urge to take a leak. After a short break, I met Gerard and Coach Bong, and overtook me. My office colleague Emil initially wanted to pass on me too, but instead joined me, and discovered Galloway was good for him as well.

When we got to the Takbo.ph / Reinier Pacific Aid Station in Buendia/Pasong Tamo, I handed over two of my hydration flasks to Makoy (salamat bro!), since I'm pretty confident with the hydration provisions of the organizers.

In the Skyway, everything felt great! Though I'm starting to fade a bit, I'm still happy for I find my plan was still working. Neil and Mar soon reached me and joined me and Emil.

When the Skyway leg was over, the four of us were just 2 minutes behind of schedule. We're all happy to see the gang again at the Aid Station, and eat bananas.

7 kilometers to go, and I'm fading continuously, as the sun scorches us with all its might. I almost hit the pavement, when I accidentally got tripped by the reflectors installed on the road. Thank God I still have my balance, and managed to shake it off, and continued with my march.

I tried to run, but I can no longer sustain my 4:1 ratio, and I guess it got reversed. I didn't mind the agony, and was thankful that I listened to Rico's advise.

The last 3 kilometers was my longest ever. I felt like nothing's left in my tank. I literally dragged myself. Good thing Neil, Mar, Timmy, Carlo, and Raymund were with me. I was trying to be candid about everything, and told Pepsi (bike support) and Noelle (on her way home after a superb 21k finish) how thankful I am to see their pretty faces.

Rico, who missed the race to attend to his buddy's wedding in Boracay yesterday, went straight to BHS from the airport, and we met him at the corner of University Avenue and 32nd Street. He ran/walked with us.

Before reaching the corner of 32nd Street and 5th Avenue, the gang started to pick up pace, while I find myself still walking behind. When a fellow asked me if we could still make it to the cut-off, I said we still have 9 minutes. Then it hit me. I picked up pace and soon overtook the gang all the way to the finish.

The Condura Skyway Marathon organizers surprised us with a blistering release of race results (note that there's no timing chip available).

Officially, I finished 5:55:13 for my first Skyway Marathon! Praise God! Praise God!

I was almost in tears, but I guess dehydration stole the opportunity. I was limping and in pain as I get my medal. The route was very challenging, and I've learned new things this time around. I wanna do it again! Can't wait for the next Condura Skyway Marathon!

19 comments:

Julius (Yellowcard) February 7, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

Congratulations, Jet! It was good to finally meet you personally. Good luck with BDM. Here's to more marathon finishes for all of us! Cheers, bro!

Noelle De Guzman February 8, 2010 at 1:52 AM  

congrats, Jet! kaya pala Rico was there, nag-adik at dumiretso sa BHS from the airport! it was a pleasure seeing you all finishing strong. :)

Mccoy February 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

nice Papi Pj.. congrats!!! muahhhh

Gingerbreadman February 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

Congrats Jet! I know how long you trained for this, you did awesome :)Well-deserved finish man. Wohooo!

RPA February 8, 2010 at 1:14 PM  

congrats parekoy! rest well at may susunod pang laban!

Anonymous,  February 8, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

congrats papi jet.mabuhay ang mga papi hehehehehe------ambo

Julie @ HotlegsRunner February 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

so proud of you, Jetty! ConGRATulations!!! We were all winners that day with God's grace =)

Argonaut,  February 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

Hi Jet, Congrats,

I never even got the chance to congratulate you dahil battered din ako.. hahah! (masanay ka na dahil lagi akong full force kapag tumatakbo) hahhaha!!!!
I'm proud of you guys, my running friends who never stop believing!

Next Run, BDM!

Argonaut,  February 9, 2010 at 1:24 AM  

Jet, I think I didnt get the chance to congratulate you. I was so battered and nauseus at that time din... hahahah!

Congrats sa iyo!
What's Next? BDM?! Let's get it on!!!!

Anonymous,  February 9, 2010 at 7:39 AM  

You did it fafi! Congrats!

Neil February 9, 2010 at 9:46 AM  

Congrats Papi Jet! 'Twas nice pacing together the last stretch. 'Til next time!

lolo_earl February 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

papi jet! congrats...saludo ako sa 'yo ;) goodluck sa bdm

Anonymous,  February 10, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

Am surprised why you followed the 4:40:00 training program of Galloway. I myself followed the "To Finish" training program for my 3rd marathon and finished in 5:24:27 (my previous p.r. was 5:46:45 at the Quezon City International Marathon). I do plan to follow the 4:40:00 training program this time in preparation for the next Milo Marathon. >ROBERTO GARCIA (60 years young)

Jet Paiso February 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

hi julius, congratulations too on your 1st marathon! more marathons to come!

hi noelle! i was delighted to see you in the homestretch =) congratulations on your half marathon pr.

makoy! maraming salamat bro! will return the favor soon.

hey mr. daytripper21, tnx! (sorry, i forgot your name again hehehe)

marathoner vic, congratulations papi!

marathoner gbm, congratulations! you're one hell of fast runner!

papi allen, congratulations! mabuhay ang mga papi! hehehe

hey julie, congratulations too! you're hotter than your hot pink gear =)

rodel, congratulations bro! yep, pareho tayong wasak, pero ang sarap hahaha! BDM, let's get it ON!

fafi rene, congratulations on your comeback marathon! you rock!

papi neil, congratulations! happy to share the road and pace with you and coach mar!

papi earl, isa ka ring natutulog na halimaw! congratulations!

hi mr. garcia, congratulations! i just aimed a higher goal, since libreng mangarap hahaha. will continue with the 4:40:40 training plan until i reach it (hopefully in my 4th or 5th marathon).

Anonymous,  February 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM  

Hi Jet!

Congratulations bro! Great finish!

Eric
Runningbeyondair

Jet Paiso February 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

hi eric, thanks! congratulations too to you and emily. it was nice sharing the skyway with friends =)

hi tracy, congratulations! you did very very well! =)

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP