Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Active Recovery

I am an advocate of active recovery.  I believe that such is an integral aspect in the lifestyle of every individual who engages in sport.  This allows the body to be back to its normal state after a high intensity activity.  Read more about it here.


After my 2011 BDM 102k finish last March (read here and here), I limited myself to walking, to allow my legs to loosen up.  I also had no recourse but to walk  because the blisters on the soles of my feet took 3 weeks to heal completely.

This took a toll in me, as I gained pounds, and felt like I'm gonna be sick soon.  I really need to lace up and hit the road, but I need to do it easy.  

I remember what fellow ultrarunner, Mark Hernandez, shared about active recovery: the number of recovery days should equal the total number of kilometers raced.  This means I could only engage on high-intensity training starting Jun 16, and that's 45 days near Milo Marathon.  Oh well, perhaps, my marathon dream of 5 hours will have to wait.
  • I finally ran last April 2 via Hyundai Fun Run.  It took me 1:22:23 to finish 10k.  
  • The following day, I ran 5k via AACE's GOOD Run, and finished in 34:42.  
  • Two days after, I ran 3.68 kms in BGC in 26:40.  
  • Then last night, in Takbo.ph Nightfest in Filinvest Alabang, I ran the hilly 5k in 35:17.
How do you recover?

3 comments:

Arthur April 12, 2011 at 7:51 AM  

You are fully recovered, Jet! Take care though. Good luck to your dream.

RunningAtom April 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM  

Active Recovery through Bodivance is also possible :)

Anonymous,  April 12, 2011 at 10:54 PM  

Jet, congrat on your BDM finish.
I do 45-60 min. spin on stationary bike after a marathon or ultra. I also consider my last race as part of my training for the next race.
The rest 'one day per mile run' is good, but not if you have a fitness lifestyle to maintain.
I believe you can do a 5 hour Milo marathon in July. Whatever time you finish, you are still Jet, the person among your friends.
Abe

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP