Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My 2011 BDM 102k Story [1st of 2 Parts]

I am a Bataan Death March 102k Ultra-Marathon REPEATER.  Yep!  I failed to finish the first time I braved the race last year.  Read my story here.

And as soon as I 'throw in the towel' last year, I resolved to train all year for the 2011 edition.

Please please please
Photo courtesy of TMontaos

Whenever my schedule permits, I join the Ultra-Marathons organized by the Philippine Association of Ultrarunners (PAU), directed by the Bald Runner, (Ret) Major General Jovie Narcise.  And I conservatively finished PAU Tanay 50k, PAU Pasuquin to Pagudpud (P2P) Ilocos Norte 70k, and PAU Tagaytay to Nasugbu (T2N) 50k.

I also got sidelined along the way.  I experienced cramps in the 34th Milo Marathon, ITBS in P2P, and discovered a meniscal tear on my right knee.

All efforts, pain, and lessons are directed towards my 2011 BDM 102k dream.

Fast-forward to March 5, 2011.  I am more confident now, not because I have already experienced 72% of the route, but because I have a family in Team Boring who will help me along the way.

It was drizzling while we were preparing to leave our camp.  Before we proceed to km 0, we prayed for  strength, guidance, wisdom, safety and protection from any harm and injury.

Confident with my Team Boring
Photo courtesy of JVargas

We arrived at km 0 with enough time to meet and greet fellow BDM participants, and friends.

It was 10:09 PM in my Garmin when the gun went off.  Plan was for me and Aaron to run together.  But I lost him in the 1st kilometer, reunited in km 2, then he sped a bit in km 3.  Aaron is faster, and I didn't mind if plans were changed, for that's his normal pace, and would be unfair if he will burden himself with my pace.

Everything went well for the 1st 25 kms, and clocked 3:57:55.

No problemo!
Photo courtesy of TMontaos

The next 25 kms was a winding and banking rock and roll.  I conservatively ran this portion, as I don't want to strain again the muscles on my feet.

with Bored Crew Members Rod and Nonong
Photo courtesy of TMontaos

I clocked 8:25:50 in km 50.  I spent a good 10 minutes for breakfast and changing my clothes, and walked the 1st km to allow my body to  process my food intake.

Recharging at km 50
Photo courtesy of TMontaos
I picked up my pace starting km 52.  I was on a roll when I reached km 55, and started overtaking some runners.  It was also at this point that our support crew are having a hard time attending to myself, Edwin, and Aaron, for we were at least 2 kms apart.

Somewhere in between km 51 to 55
Photo courtesy of TMontaos

And then I passed the store where I bought a bandage to treat my blister last 2010 BDM.  I felt recharged, and carried on.

Salamat Nonong sa PAYONG hehehe
Photo courtesy of TMontaos

Then I passed km post 73 where I stopped last year.   I felt so good.   I checked my Garmin, and realized that actual km reading was only 71.  It was already 11:14 AM, then I got thirsty, and felt the need for my crew, but to no avail.

I decided to take a break at the nearest convenience store.  Good thing I have money with me to buy some refreshments.  My Garmin stopped at km 72, at 11:25 AM.  Total elapsed time is 13:16:24.

Let's take a break!  Wait for PART 2 ha?!
Photo courtesy of TMontaos

[to be continued]


Bong March 17, 2011 at 3:24 AM  

Suspense naman Jet. :)

Titanium Runner March 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM  

Nabitin ako, nasan na ang Part 2?!??!?

Julius March 17, 2011 at 1:12 PM  

Congrats, bro! Graduate na tayo! :)

katol March 20, 2011 at 5:59 PM  

pa thrilling pa... cant wait for part 2. :-)

Nette Castillo,  March 29, 2011 at 9:27 AM  

congrats Jet!!! :)

Blog Archive

Contact Form


Email *

Message *

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP